OSHA has released Permit Required Confined Space rules that are specific to construction environments.
Difference Between General Industry and New Construction Rules
- Detailed requirements for work sites with multiple employers.
- Requirement for a competent person to inspect the work site for confined space hazards.
- When possible, continuous atmospheric monitoring is required.
- Continuous monitoring of engulfment hazards is required.
- Permits can now be suspended, in addition to cancelled. Permits can be suspended in the event that entry conditions change.
Rule Implementation Date
The new regulations go into effect August 3rd, 2015.
Construction in Confined Space Resources
- OSHA Confined Space in Construction Resource Page
- Confined Space in Construction FAQs
- Confined Spaces in Construction - Crawl Spaces and Attics
- Confined Spaces in Construction - Pits
- Confined Spaces in Construction - Sewers
- Permit Required Confined Spaces in General Industry